AAPG is committed to safeguarding the privacy of its Users in accordance with international legal standards, including the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) and other applicable data protection laws and data protection codes of conduct.
Credit: this document was created in part using a template from SEQ Legal (https://seqlegal.com)
Declaration of Consent
You may withdraw this consent at any time by notifying AAPG via email or post as identified below (see “Inquiries regarding privacy of Personal Data”).
Personal Identification Information
AAPG may collect personal identification information from Users in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to, when Users visit the Site, register on the Site, fill out a form, participate in AAPG events or activities, purchase goods and/or services from AAPG, or in connection with other activities, services, features, or resources AAPG makes available on the Site. Users may be asked to provide, as appropriate, their name, address, education level, purchasing history, committee involvement, and other such basic demographic data. Users may, however, visit the Site anonymously. AAPG will collect personal identification information from Users only if they voluntarily submit such information. Users may refuse to supply personal identification information; however, doing so may prevent them from engaging in certain Site related activities.
Non-Personal Identification Information
AAPG may collect non-personal identification information about Users whenever they interact with AAPG’s Site. Non-personal identification information may include the date and duration of the Users visit, the browser name, the type of computer, and technical information about Users’ means of connecting to AAPG’s Site, such as the operating system or Internet service provider utilized, and other similar information.
Why we collect Personal Data
We collect and use your Personal Data in order to provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us, to manage our relationship with you, to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us (including for billing and collection purposes), to respond to inquiries and provide information or advice about existing and new products or services, to provide you with access to protected and exclusive areas of our website and notify you about changes to our website, to conduct product and market research, to improve our products and services, to improve the quality of our client services and to detect, investigate, and/or prevent activities that may be unlawful and/or which violate our policies.
We may also use information in our databases to send you information about us and our products and services that we think may be of interest to you.
The Personal Data we collect
Depending on the nature of your interaction with us, we may collect the following types of Personal Data from you: contact details (including postal address, email address, telephone number, etc.), organizational affiliations, profession or occupation, positions held, communication preferences, payment details and details of the products and services you have purchased from us or about which you have inquired.
We may also collect additional information relating to you that you have provided to us directly or indirectly through your access and use of the Site, by email or telephone, Technical Support, customer surveys or conversations with our representatives.
How we collect Personal Data
We also use Google Analytics, which provides anonymous statistical information to us. Google Analytics processes IP addresses and information from other cookies used on our Site so we know how many page views we have, how many Users we have, what browsers are used and, in some cases, in which country, city or region they are located.
More information about Google Analytics: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en&ref_topic=2919631
How we use Personal Data
AAPG may process your Personal Data:
- That is provided in the course of the use of AAPG’s services. The source of the data is you (a User, as that term is defined herein). The data may be processed for maintaining AAPG’s databases and communicating with you about information, products, or services that you request from AAPG. The legal basis for this processing is legitimate interest, namely monitoring and improving the Site and AAPG’s services. Additionally, to the extent you enter into a contractual relationship with AAPG with respect to the services it offers, the legal basis for this processing is contractual necessity;
- That you (a User, as that term is defined herein) provide or post for publication on the Site or other publication. The legal basis for this is consent. Additionally, to the extent you enter into a contractual relationship with AAPG in posting or publishing content to the Site, the legal basis for this processing is contractual necessity. You acknowledge that data you submit for publication may be available through the Internet. AAPG cannot prevent the use or misuse of such Personal Data by others;
- Obtained in any inquiry you (a User, as that term is defined herein) submit through the Site regarding AAPG’s products or services. The data may be processed for purposes of marketing and selling relevant services to you. The legal basis for this processing is consent. Additionally, to the extent you enter into a contractual relationship with AAPG with respect to the services it offers, the legal basis for this processing is contractual necessity;
- Obtained through AAPG’s relationships with its Customers (as defined below). The Customer relationship data may include name, employer, job title, contact details and information obtained in communications between AAPG and you (a User, as that term is defined herein) and/or your employer. The legal basis for this processing is consent and AAPG’s legitimate interest in maintaining its relationships with its Customers, which include:
- Trade show visitors;
- Trade show exhibitors;
- Conference visitors;
- Press/media; and
- All other individuals with whom AAPG maintains business relationships or communications (collectively, “Customers”).
- Relating to transactions or contracts that you (a User, as that term is defined herein) enter into with AAPG directly or through the Site. This may include your contact details, credit card details, and transaction details for the purpose of supplying the services and keeping records of transactions and the administration of the event and AAPG’s business. The legal basis for this processing is contractual necessity and AAPG’s legitimate interest in monitoring the quality of the services it offers to its Customers;
- In connection with the issuance of continuing education credits to Users who are AAPG Members. The legal basis for this processing is legitimate interest, namely, advancing the science of petroleum geology. Additionally, to the extent the issuance of continuing education credits arises out of a contractual relationship between AAPG and a User, the legal basis for this processing is contractual necessity;
- To document the AAPG Member qualification and admission process, record AAPG Member activities (financial and non-financial), and monitor eligibility for voting or holding office within the AAPG. The legal basis for this processing is legitimate interest, namely advancing the science of petroleum geology. Additionally, to the extent the activities identified above arise out of a contractual relationship between AAPG and a User, the legal basis for this processing is contractual necessity;
- You (a User, as that term is defined herein) supply to AAPG in relation to the event or for subscribing to our email notifications. The legal basis for this processing is consent; or
- To comply with any and all legal obligations of AAPG under European Union (“EU”) law or the laws of an EU Member State.
Sharing of Personal Data
AAPG does not sell, trade, or rent Users’ Personal Data to others. Personal Data submitted to AAPG is available to AAPG employees for the purposes identified in the preceding section (see “How we use Personal Data”). Those with access to AAPG’s “Members Only” portal may have limited access to Personal Data, including, but not limited to, your name and contact information. Additionally, AAPG may use third party service providers to help AAPG operate AAPG’s business and the Site or administer activities on AAPG’s behalf. By using the Site, you agree that AAPG may share your information with these third parties for these limited purposes.
AAPG also may disclose information about Users (i) if required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena), (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or (iii) when AAPG believes disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
Retention of Personal Data
Personal Data will be stored for as long as the information is required to fulfill AAPG’s legitimate business needs or the purposes for which the Personal Data was collected, or for such period as is required by law.
Third Party Websites
Users may find content on the Site that link to the sites and services of third parties. AAPG is not responsible for the practices employed by websites linked to or from its Site. In addition, these sites or services, including their content and links, may be constantly changing. These sites and services may have their own privacy policies and customer service policies. Browsing and interacting on any other website, including websites which have a link to AAPG’s Site, is subject to that website’s own terms and policies.
Security and our partners outside North America
Data entered on the Site may be transferred to a server in the United States and stored there. Your Personal Data may be used (see “How we use Personal Data”) by AAPG and its divisions, holding companies, subsidiaries and affiliates, or other entities outside the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) including in the United States. Please note that in countries outside the country in which you live, and in particular outside the EU/EEA, a different standard of data protection might apply than the standard that you are used to in your own country. By using and submitting Personal Data to the Site, you acknowledge and consent that Personal Data may be transferred across international borders, including to countries outside the EU/EEA.
Children Under 16
AAPG does not knowingly or intentionally collect Personal Data from children under age 16. If you are under the age of 16, please do not submit any Personal Data to AAPG, and rely on a parent or guardian to assist you.
Individual rights regarding Personal Data
The data protection rights you have under the GDPR are summarized below, as follows:
Right to Access. You have the right to confirm whether AAPG processes your Personal Data and, where it does, access to the Personal Data, together with certain additional information, including details regarding the purposes of the processing, the categories of Personal Data concerned, and the recipients of the Personal Data. Provided the rights and freedoms of others are not affected, AAPG will supply to you a copy of your Personal Data. The first copy will be provided free of charge. Additional copies, however, may be subject to a reasonable fee.
Right to Rectification. You have the right to have any inaccurate Personal Data about you rectified and, considering the purposes of the processing, to have any incomplete Personal Data about you completed.
Right to Erasure. In some circumstances, you have the right to the erasure of your Personal Data without undue delay. Those circumstances include: the Personal Data are no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected or processed; you withdraw consent to consent-based processing; you object to the processing under certain rules of applicable data protection law; the processing is for direct marketing purposes; and the Personal Data have been unlawfully processed. However, there are exclusions of the right to erasure. The general exclusions include, where processing is necessary: to exercise the right of freedom of expression and information; to comply with a legal obligation; or to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
Right to Restrict Processing. In some circumstances, you have the right to restrict the processing of your Personal Data. Those circumstances are: you contest the accuracy of the Personal Data; processing is unlawful but you oppose erasure; AAPG no longer needs the Personal Data for the purposes of AAPG’s processing, but you require Personal Data to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims; and you have objected to processing, pending the verification of that objection. Where processing has been restricted on this basis, AAPG may continue to store your Personal Data; however, AAPG will only otherwise process it: with your consent; to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims; for the protection of the rights of another natural or legal person; or for reasons of important public interest.
Right to Object to Processing. You have the right to object to AAPG’s processing of your Personal Data on grounds relating to your particular situation, but only to the extent that the legal basis for the processing is that the processing is necessary to: perform a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of any official authority vested in AAPG; or to pursue AAPG’s legitimate interests or those of a third party. If you make such an objection, AAPG will cease to process the Personal Data unless it can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights, and freedoms, or the processing is necessary to establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
You have the right to object to AAPG’s processing of your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes (including profiling for direct marketing purposes). If you so object, AAPG will cease to process your Personal Data for this purpose.
You have the right to object to AAPG’s processing of your Personal Data for scientific or historical research purposes or statistical purposes on grounds relating to your particular situation, unless the processing is necessary to perform a task carried out for reasons of public interest.
Right to Data Portability. If the legal basis for AAPG’s processing of your Personal Data is:
and such processing is carried out by automated means, you have the right to receive your Personal Data from AAPG in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format. This right does not apply, however, where it would adversely affect the rights and freedoms of others.
- Consent; or
- The processing is necessary to perform or enter into a contract to which you are party,
Right to Complain to a Supervisory Authority. If you believe AAPG’s processing of your Personal Data infringes data protection laws, you have a legal right to file a complaint with a supervisory authority responsible for data protection. You may do so in the EU member state of your habitual residence, your place of work, or the place of the alleged infringement.
Right to Withdraw Consent. If the legal basis for AAPG’s processing of your Personal Data is consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. Withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of any processing performed prior to the withdrawal.
You may exercise any of your rights in relation to your Personal Data by written notice to AAPG, in addition to the other methods specified herein.
Your Acceptance of These Terms
Inquiries regarding privacy of Personal Data
Inquiries regarding this privacy notice, requests to update or correct personal data, or other privacy concerns should be directed to:
Data Protection Representative
American Association of Petroleum Geologists
1444 S. Boulder Ave.
Tulsa, OK 74119 USA
Local: 1 918-560-2607
Toll free: 1 800-364-2607
Fax: 1 918-560-2665
Email: [email protected]rg